Sunday, March 30, 2014

A sight for sore eyes!

Look what we did today! In between watching the various rounds of the AKC NAC online today, I pulled out all of the jumps & weaves and we played agility! Outside! For the first time this year!

After the awful, snowy, cold & miserable winter we had this year (officially the worst of my lifetime), I had started to feel like we'd never get to play outside ever again. I feel grateful to have our little basement play area so we don't go completely without all winter, but there is just nothing like being able to RUN outside and play on courses again.

I'm lucky to live on a giant sand pit. I know many people around here still have snow, or at the very least, a whole lot of mud. I have a few spongy areas -- mostly off to the right in the photo where there is still snow on the fence line -- but the majority of the yard was great and we didn't have any slipping!

I'd love to try my hand at all of the NAC courses from this year, but we'll have to settle for JWW since I still lack a functioning a-frame. Maybe I'll put that on my list of "next big purchases" (that will never happen). I'm not a fan of the format of AKC Nationals, where you pretty much just go and run one run per day, but even through video you can tell that there is so much energy in the air and it's just infectious. I really would like to experience it one day. Next year it's in Reno, though, and I just don't think I could commit to going that far. I have no idea where it is after that. Probably closer. We'll see.

At any rate, we had loads of fun and everyone did great. I ran Secret at 20" just because I wasn't 100% sure about the ground and figured we should keep it safe & happy. Her weaves got slower and slower as we went along, which makes me really wish I could get her in for a chiro appointment this week before the trial. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening with my schedule, as I already get to go spend one morning at the dentist this week.

Kaiser struggled with the weave entry at first, but then got it. He's such a good boy.

Kizzy surprised me heaps! I broke the course into three parts for her at first since it's been a while since I've asked this much of her. We did the part before the weaves, the weaves, and the part after the weaves. She seemed to get it, so we put it all together and she actually got it! The whole thing! I didn't want to push it, so I left it at that and we just worked on weaves after that. Kizzy has a history of running past the weave entries at trials, so I wanted to work on her hitting and holding them at speed. She did great!

Luke didn't make it on video because I didn't have enough faith in him. I figured we'd just play around a little, so I didn't bother turning on the camera for his turn. Of course he nailed the whole thing on the first go. Good job old man.  :o)

Not to much else to report here, other than that I've been on poop patrol since Thursday. Wednesday night I went into the bathroom before bed and noticed that someone had stolen the used dental floss out of the garbage. Crap. There are two dogs in this house that are known for raiding the bathroom garbage and they both happen to be Klee Kai.

Kizzy had been back in the bedroom most of the night, so I started by dosing her with peroxide since I figured she was my most likely culprit. I put about 2ccs down her at a time and it took 3 doses, but it didn't take her too long to empty the contents of her belly onto the deck. There was dinner, but no dental floss. Sorry Kizzy.

On to Kaiser. Oh my lord. I must have hit him up over 10 times and he would NOT throw up. He'd get all frantic and urpy, just to choke it back down and then settle down again. It took almost 45 minutes to get him to throw up and when he did it was almost all foam and hardly any food at all. Definitely no dental floss present. Argh. I don't know if you can kill a dog by giving them too much peroxide, but I figured it wasn't worth the risk and called it quits. I put a couple of pieces of bread into each Klee Kai and went to bed.

I've been feeding pumpkin since then to help push things through and so far I've seen nothing. Granted, at this point I'm starting to keep a close eye on Luke (and maybe Secret, who knows) because if it did come out of one of the little dogs before I found it then odds are high he would have just taken it himself....

Everyone seems normal, thankfully, but I'm keeping close tabs and monitoring everyone until some sort of "evidence" passes. It was probably over a foot of dental floss, so no small amount -- especially for a little dog. We so do not need a medical emergency in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment