Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Howl-ween

It's Halloween. One of my least favorite holidays ever. I can buy candy year round -- nobody gives it to me for free today, so why should I care?  ;o) This day is a giant pain in the butt for anyone who has dogs.
Back when I had horses I would pack Luke up and go to the barn until at least 9 p.m. to avoid all of the little beggers. Occasionally I've gone and hid up at my parent's house, as they live in the middle of nowhere and don't have to worry about such things. The last few years I've hid in the backyard with the dogs and then retreat to a dark bedroom until it's safe to come out. Sounds like fun, right?
Tonight we went hiking. It was a lovely night -- just under 50 and sunny, so I thought that sounded like a better idea than hiding in the backyard. The dogs agreed, and since I got home earlier than usual (I skipped lunch today thanks to eating all day at our potlock) we got to stay out for over an hour and it didn't even get totally dark on us!
Secret was naughty when she spotted something -- a cat? -- in the distance and ran at least an acre across a big field to chase it up a tree. Nice, Secret. Then she stood and barked at it for a while, which honestly I normally wouldn't have really cared about, but she happened to do this in the only yard within a several mile radius of where were. I didn't feel like having some guy come out with a gun and shoot her, so I just stood there and screamed at her and she eventually came running back (quite proud of herself).
We also found a dead deer on our hike tonight. That was kind of sad. We were pretty deep into the woods when I saw something up ahead. I was like, is that a deer? I stood and waited for it to get up and run away, but it didn't. We approached carefully and I realized it wasn't alive anymore. Poor deer. The dogs really freaked out and barked at him. I opted to turn around and head back at that point, figuring that he might become a meal eventually for one of the wild critters in the area and we didn't need to risk being competition for that.
Not much else to report at the moment, as I sit here and type in the dark... Secret tried to kill herself tonight while she & Luke chased each other around the yard. All of the sudden I heard a THAWUMP and literally felt it from inside the house. Someone totally smacked into the deck and it didn't take long to figure out who it was when I went outside to check on them. Secret was sitting there with a dazed look on her face and kind of wobbled over and leaned into me. She was fine in seconds, but good lord, girl... Maybe it will knock some sense into her. Doubt it.

We don't have anything going on this weekend. I am scheduled for a stupid five-hour shift at the shelter on Saturday and then have off on Sunday. There is a dog fair in Madison that I could potentially go to with Kaiser to meet up with some Klee Kai friends, but that is up in the air, especially since I just drove to New Berlin last weekend. We'll see. I do have to get entered for our next NADAC trial at FDC, though -- Next weekend!  Yay, more agility!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not super into Halloween either, looking at all the FB posts of people's kids in their costumes did nothing for me. The only time in my life I ever had trick or treaters was the two years I lived in a duplex during college. Other than that we have been too much in the country.

    ReplyDelete