Thursday, March 18, 2010

Four days in a row -- Really?



I don't know that I've ever posted four days a in row..... But we've just been doing so much great new stuff lately that I have to post about it! :o)

Secret had a fantastic night at the dog center last night. She was overly vocal while I was teaching for some reason -- I'm not sure if she's getting to the point where she wants to be out playing or if she just had to go to the bathroom....

After class we went outside and she got to play with her Border Collie friend, Ailie for a bit. She really loves Ailie! The dogs found a toy in the grass and Secret started to learn a bit more about the game of fetch from Ailie and Luke, although she absolutely will not compete for the toy under any circumstances. We faked out the older dogs a few times and threw a short toss for Secret and she fetched it quite well.

The shot on top is Secret showing off her brilliant 2-on/2-off behavior on the a-frame. We have yet to go up and over (and won't until I bring out the equipment at home and set it to "baby height") -- But she is rock solid on holding her position. Because of this, I am really leaning towards starting her with the 2o/2o behavior on all contacts. I figure we can transition to a quick release later if need be, but it would be nice to have a dog that I don't have to worry about hitting the yellow.



Secret was introduced to the table last night! I don't have a table at home (yet), so this is something we'll have to work on at the dog center for now. Secret took to the table immediately and hopped up onto it before I even asked. We're using the clicker for the table introduction and she quickly figured out what I wanted from her. My goal is to work towards an automatic down behavior, since I would like to try USDAA some day with her.



Secret also got to play on the teeter last night. Here she is showing off her brilliant 2o/2o again. :o) She was overly eager to jump onto the pivot point of the teeter, so I decided to let her ride it down very slowly to introduce her to the movement. Thanks to all of her wobble board work, she didn't seem bothered by it at all. Several times I had her ride it down and then assume her contact position, and she did great. She did spook a bit at the noise the teeter made when it bounced back into place, so we sat there and click/treated the bang noise and she seemed to get over it.



Our final introduction of the night was the tire jump! I do have one of these at home, but we just haven't done anything with it yet. I had the tire out for my class, so I decided to go ahead and show it to Secret. There isn't any jumping involved with the tire set at its lowest point, but she very quickly got the idea of going through it. She only tried passing through the space between the tire & the supports once, and quickly learned that didn't work so well (for her size at this height, at least!).

I let the dogs run around while I packed up and was surprised that, after all the activity of the evening, Secret & Kaiser still had energy to run around like loons. There was one time when Secret was chasing Kaiser and she completely biffed it -- She ended up sliding quite a ways on her head/shoulder/back after losing her footing. Poor girl seemed a bit shocked, but none the worse for wear, as she took off after Kaiser again. Those two.... I just hope nobody gets hurt. Sigh.

It sounds like Secret may have a play date with Rascal this evening, so there is a chance that I'll be posting FIVE days in a row! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment